Applications in GIS Module 6: Suitability and Least Cost Analysis Blog 2


The map above shows a corridor analysis for the potential paths black bears may take when moving between two protected areas in the Coronado National Forest. To conduct the analysis, we took into consideration distance to roads, elevation, and land cover. In a future analysis, we could also factor in population density. In addition to avoiding roads, I think we could analyze how potential bear paths between the two protected areas can avoid populated areas and neighborhoods.

For this corridor analysis, I started by using the cost distance tool. I set the Coronado 1 layer as the input and created a distance and backlink layer. I then created a cost path with the Coronado 2 layer as the input and included the Coronado 1 distance and backlink layers. I used the Raster to Polyline tool to show multiple paths from one park to the other that matched the suitable criteria.



 

Comments