Communicating in GIS Module 4: Color Concepts & Choropleth Mapping




In this week's module, we explored how to create a color ramp and how to use color effectively when creating a choropleth map. 

Calculating and recording the RGB values for each purple color ramp helped me to see the value differences between them. I enjoyed learning how to calculate a custom sequential color scheme. The equal interval calculations used to create the linear color ramp were the most straightforward. It’s easy to understand that there is an equal RGB value difference between each shade. 

Creating the adjusted progression color ramp involved a bit more calculating. The adjusted color ramp I created appears slightly lighter and less vivid than the linear color ramp. 

I noticed quickly that the ColorBrewer color ramp was not divided into equal intervals. The dark colors on the ColorBrewer ramp are more saturated than the colors I calculated for the linear color ramp. 


For the final part of this week's module, I chose to map population changes in Colorado. I chose to use Equal Interval classification for this map as well. I thank that this classification clearly shows the counties most affected by population loss or gain. I used a divergent color scheme, and because I am using an Equal Interval classification, I chose to use an equal number of 6 class breaks.

The legend shows 3 breaks for population loss and 3 breaks for population gain across the state of Colorado. For the divergent color ramp, I chose a pink and green color scheme on ColorBrewer. I liked that the green would reflect a positive population increase. The dark colors are highly saturated, and the hues are well-defined. It will be easy to identify the colors on the map in the map legend.

Comments