Communicating in GIS Module 5: Analytical Data


This week's module was really interesting. We learned to create infographic map figures, and how to display statistical data in graphs and charts in a layout combined with our thematic maps. For my infographic, I used 2018 County Health Rankings  National Data. From this data spreadsheet, I chose to compare the percentage of the US population with some college to the unemployed percentage of the labor force.  

I think every bit of additional education past a high school diploma is helpful to being able to find and maintain employment. I hope to be able to that higher percentages with some college education have a lower percentage of unemployment. The data for both variables have been normalized. I can see by reviewing the percentage data that this data is an average based on the number of individuals and the total population or labor force. 

I used ArcPro to format my scatter plot. I formatted the scatter plot to show the Unemployment on the Y axis. I felt that it most effective to show the height of the unemployment rates vertically. The scatter plot points match the color symbology for the unemployment map. I used a dark theme
to show the light colors clearly. 

I created a new spreadsheet with the counties that had 3 highest and 3 lowest unemployment percentages. I tried to mirror the formatting of the scatterplot graph with the bar graph. I used a dark background and I used ColorBrewer to keep all of my colors in a similar hue.

I created 2 pie charts in Excel. I used the County Health Ranking spreadsheet to create one pie chart that would show the total population and number of some college, and a second pie chart that would show the total labor force and the number of unemployed. Los Angeles, CA had the highest population and highest labor force, so I used LA for both pie charts to compare. 

I used ColorBrewer to carry the purple and orange theme though to the pie chart. I added a shadow to both pie charts. I used ArcPro to create the number and pie chart title graphics.

In finalizing my infographic map, I tried to create page balance with each map item. I made both US maps the same size and weighed them evenly on the page with the legends on either side of each map. I place the pie charts below each map and made the bar charts the same size. I considered the size of each font and tried to keep everything on the map legible and while not being too large. I also use the font to show hierarchy. The map title is the largest font on the page. I used visual contrast by keeping the map items associated with college education purple and unemployment orange. I carried this theme throughout the map to allow the map viewer to easily tell which graphic goes with which data set. 



 

Comments