Communicating in GIS Module 3: Terrain Visualization


In Module 3, we learned more about mapping a terrain, using hillshade effects, creating contour lines, and working with digital elevation models (DEMS). In the map above, we were tasked with creating a thematic landcover map for Yellowstone National Park. The landcover symbology is shown over a DEM. I used a multi-directional hillshade tool for the DEM, allowing all sides of the terrain to be visible and defined.

I used darker colors for the land cover symbology and set this layer to be 45% transparent. I found that this helped the three-dimensional terrain stand out clearly. I matched the hue of each symbology color to create visual contrast. I chose to make the water symbology gray, instead of the usual blue, so that the color wouldn’t compete with the blues of the vegetation layers.

To create balance, I set the map frame to occupy 2/3 of the page, leaving the final third of the page for a map element panel. I balanced the space between the top and bottom map elements by placing the map legend equally spaced between the map title and the map arrow and scale. To create interesting and legible typography, I capitalized the main map title and added a subtle shadow to keep it from blending into the background. For additional visual contrast, I used a thick, dark grey neatline around the map frame and around the map element panel. The background color of the map panel matches the blue hue on the map. I added a grey background behind the transparent blue map element panel,  and I used a white background behind the legend to keep it clear and easy to identify.

Comments